Favourites Circle Set Designs
- this is interesting to me , because I do not usually like the circle shapes as such , yet when the circle is handdrawn and REPEATED ...in a set or formation I find they resonate a different kind of energy then when they are drawn with a compass , perfect circles as it were
- NOTICING: Although I do like irregular unpredictable shape there is something about SETS that is appealing, sets of handdrawn circles , particularly when arranged in the formation of
9 - 3x3
- There seems to be a kind of measured force that meets an unmeasured one - creating a harmonious balance for me
- So I have a handdrawn/non-perfect circle and it is filled with lines representing the internal dynamic of both rotation in a circle and a cross counter force that will prevent the circle from becoming 3 dimensional
- I had a play of combining both handdrawn with compass drawn circles and a little watercolor effect.
- When BOTH types of circles appear on the same piece of art, for me , they create HARMONY again
- If I ONLY use compass drawn circles , it becomes a stagnant, constricted energy
- If I ONLYuse handdrawn circles, the energy is abundant and playful
Experimenting with Hand Stitching Circles
- choosing form my favourite types of circles I took some hand-dyed thread on added circle designs to the previously stitched vessel that resulted out of the roadside crack drawings from earlier in this study
- I explored how far I could take a circular stitch rotation before it started to lift into 3-D space... the outer circle rings were fine, the tighter it got toward the center the more the tendency to lift into 3-dimensional space emerged .I stopped at that level
- when adding a sidewards motion stitch to fill the circle I decided to just pre-draw the circle with a white watercolor pencil to give me an idea of its outline and omit the actual circle line around the perimeter but just stitch the " filled circle" as it were .
- I liked the way that shape made me feel, like it suggested , hinted at the circle without containing it ..I would like to explore that a little bit more , making circles or circle forms without the perimeter or circumference emphasized
- Extension beyond boundaries , there seems to be a sort of easy/unease feeling, like the circle is containing and somehow " leaking when a force extends past its boundaries .
- Equally though it is a freeing sort of feeling, like there are no boundaries however tight the circle edge might appear there is always a force that can go beyond ..
- These circle sets create a feeling of instability
Feedback , Input & Ideas are always welcome ::: Please leave a comment below:-)
The Ralire Study - Developing Sketchbooks , Drawing for Textiles and Canvas, Meaningful Markmaking Logbook , Image Library , Inquiry into the Nature of Random Linear Remnants , Lines and Art Research Project by Milliande Demetriou