No:::34 Sketchbook - Monad - The Ralire Study
- Circle Symbology seems to be a vast field of study in and of itself, wherever I look and dig a little deeper there are circles, literally it is hard to escape the circular form in daily life and perception
- Circles have been associated with a variety of concepts over the ages
- I wondered if I simply heard that word, that concept what circle imagery would arise within me ..onto my
- Taking a simple symbol from yesterdays explorations I set out to stitch a sample beginning with a piece of hand-dyed cloth that had been tie died to reveal a circular resist shape. I thought about the dot being considered the center of the circle ..the origin ..the ZERO as it were and proceeded to stitch applique one in the middle
- as I continued with small kantha stitches in ever increasing circles, adding tiny dot stitches around the edges the main circle kept " raising itself" literally ..it is almost impossible to keep it flat as it were..the tendency , the force to extend itself outward is almost not containable.
- This had me wondering as to the why of this phenomena, I am sure with enough knowledge of physics there will be some " surface tension" or motion explanation for it, but for now I am wondering just why that is so ...it is intriquing me
- Even more interesting, the more I merely wanted to create a circle the more it turned into a " breast shape" .. I am not kidding, if I would have set out to create a breast I could not have not a better job ...judge for yourself ;-)
- So here I am with this rogue circle that seems to want to become 3-dimensional by the simple act of rotation , ROTATION ... a rotating circle ... a Rotating number One
- So the center is the point of origin - expanding outwards
- Origin is a point, a dot, breathing into the void - expanding in all directions
- At the immediate circumference there will be an initially perceived " end"
yet is continues to extend
- And the question arises , if one is represented by a circle, what shape is ZERO?
- Zero is often associated with the infinity symbol but somehow it feels sticky to me ...
- If ONE pertains to ONE THING ..and ZERO pertains to NOTHING , why would we need NOTHING to make 10, 100, 1000000000 ... so nothing increases something ...how odd a thought
- so NOTHING = Everything = INFINITY = NOTHING
- contemplating that with my study buddy T.P she came up with the reminder of the phrase
" You got zero potential" that in fact in this context can be taken to mean you contain ALL the possible potential within you ....
- Wordplay ... Number Play its a world of communicative interpretation
Feedback, Input and Ideas are always welcome ::: Please leave a comment below
The Ralire Study - Developing Sketchbooks , Drawing for Textiles and Canvas, Meaningful Markmaking Logbook , Image Library , Inquiry into the Nature of Random Linear Remnants , Lines and Art Research Project by Milliande Demetriou